Happy Birthday Lolo Jose!

Just like every Filipino, I have known Rizal ever since I was a playful kid.
image from http://www.alpsaguado.com/
Schools have consistently given me the picture of Rizal as having that peaceful way of bringing national reformation during his time.
However I only got real appreciation of his story back during my senior year in college, when I took that mandatory course focusing on the Life and Works of Rizal, tagged PI 100 in UP.
We had it every Saturday, a long three-hour class from 9am-12pm. While the rest of UP students were having their extended recovery time after a weeklong catching up with class requirements and exams, we all his students were pushed to think critically catching insights and having more questions from the works of our national hero.
Fortunately I was very lucky that time to have no less than National Historical Institute (NHI) chair Sir Ambeth Ocampo as my professor.
I can really say and strongly attest that he’s one of the best teachers I had in my academic student life.
Aside from his innate great sense of humor while teaching (and I am talking here no non-sense humor), his methods of teaching strategically enforces the type of learning the future builders of the country needs.
image from
http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/
Though appearing and sounding hard-headed at times, his convictions, views and arguments are more than enough to make me believe in his stories. J
His requirements and exams are quite demanding and challenging, but the realizations and self-examination it brought me in the end made all those worth it.
But going back to Rizal, through my PI100 class, Rizal slowly became one of my idol.
In fact, I started writing my personal journal after knowing that Rizal had his own autobiography, and a lot more of letters and correspondences to various people.
He had great thoughts and beliefs on what our country really needs, many of which still applies to our present condition.  I even remember his suggested curriculum for college students which he believed would make a person round and sound, including sports and spiritual formation.
His way of thoughts make him seemed to be in a different generation.
His records of writings also pulled me to him even more. There are books just compiling all his communications through writing. I am just an avid believer of the power of personal handwriting in expressing intentions and emotions. (In fact, when I spot a girl I like, I let her know by giving her a handwritten letter. It’s just like I think it’s more sincere when each stroke is pushed by that magic ink of love. Whaha. )
Interstingly, Rizal also had his own weak spots showing his human side, proving that one need not be perfect to make a dent in this planet. Actually, his petite physique similar to my body type also add more reasons why I should admire him. J
And finally, what else can connect Rizal to anyone more than through his very exciting lovelife story?!
Heloooo, where in the world would you find a hero and playboy in one? Haha!
Sometimes I play with my thoughts that if Rizal had gone through many woman and still ended up being a national hero, then doing the same shouldn’t make me any less as a person. Hehe.
But on a more serious note, sad to say, the social cancer Rizal had aimed to solve during his time continues to ail the nation up to now. After one and a half century, real independence, from poverty and corruption, is still a dream for many.
May we all be reminded and inspired by the great examples he had shown to make us do our fair share in shaping our country!
Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!
Mabuhay and Pilipino!

Mabuhay ang holiday sa Monday! whaha
- oMeNg -
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...